Date:      Thu, 7 Oct 2004 17:49:01 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Doug White <dwhite@gumbysoft.com>
To:        Matt Hamilton <matth@netsight.co.uk>
Cc:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: 5.3-BETA5 AMD64 Python problems

Matt,

I finally got some time to attempt to reproduce this ...

I can trigger the bus error on the last test of bug 418626, which goes
into a recursion loop.  This is the call:

re.search('(a|b)*?c', 10000*'ab'+'cd')

I've also been able to confirm that compiling Python without threads
avoids the crash.

Debugging it from here will be tricky, however; gdb in -current has
problems with stack unwinding and threads, and if the stack is getting
corrupted (which is highly likely) then it'll make things harder than they
already are.

I'll try to poke at this a bit more.

dwhite@gumbysoft.com          |  www.FreeBSD.org