Date:      Fri, 25 Jan 2002 21:00:41 +0000
From:      Neil McGann <neil@neilmcgann.co.uk>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   UDMA and 100Mbit NIC speed issues

I'm seeing a problem with network upload speed using 4.4-Release when the
HD is in DMA mode. Basically the same as problem report kern/32338, but the
possible fix doesn't work for me.

Machine is a ASUS Cuple-vm mobo (VIA PLE133), 400MHz celeron, Netgear FA311
NIC and IBM 60GX 60Gb deskstar on ULTRA100. Network is full-duplex thro a
100Mbit switch.

Symptom is ftp upload is very slow in DMA HD mode 5 and much faster in PIO
mode. I see up/down of a (approx.) 100Mb file at 50s/29s in PIO and
3m50s/33s in UDMA.

I have tried disabling the on-board video, and then using a 3Com 3C905B
NIC, but the massive slowdown is the same. I tried a different FA311 in a
dual-boot Linux 2.4.x/Win 2K machine with a 40Gb version of the same IBM
drive (but a ULTRA66 controller on a 1GHz PIII) and Linux showed _exactly_
the same slow-down symptom as FreeBSD. Win2K didn't slow down - it was
faster overall in TCP/IP (40sec/15sec) and MUCH faster in SMB (15sec/15sec).

So - what is killing the performance in FreeBSD (and Linux) where Win2K is
much faster???? (is w2K doing adaptive disk throttling to maximise network
bandwith???)

Anyone got suggestions of how to start looking at this? I'm relatively new
to freeBSD and very pleased with it overall, but on the same hardware W2K
wipes the floor with it on sheer network/disk speed (at least on UDMA/100Mbit).

Neil