Date:      Sat, 4 Sep 1999 19:54:54 -0400 (EDT)
From:      "Brian F. Feldman" <green@FreeBSD.org>
To:        security@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   another local DoS fix (PR ???)

I can't find the PR for it again (it was from will@iki.fi, supposedly)
for the problem, but this is something I have been working on

crashopen.c and crashwrite.c had the ability to DoS a system easily.
I fixed crashopen.c with the addition of badfileops. Crashwrite.c and
other problems that could crop up like it are fixed by my patch up at

	http://www.FreeBSD.org/~green/fdfix2.patch

Let me know how useful you find them. I'd like to get my diffs in
4.0 soon, since I've been running with them with no problems for
months, and they make FreeBSD more robust. Let me know what you
think, even if you don't try them, please :)

--
 Brian Fundakowski Feldman           /  "Any sufficiently advanced bug is    \
 green@FreeBSD.org                   |   indistinguishable from a feature."  |