Date:      Fri, 19 Jan 2001 14:32:08 +0100 (CET)
From:      "O. Hartmann" <ohartman@ipamzlx.physik.uni-mainz.de>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   StarOffice - MyODBC - MySQL - FreeBSD

Dear Sirs.

On some of our servers we run MySQL on FreeBSD 4.2-STABLE. With MyODBC
for Windows we gain full access to this database under M$-Access and
StarOffice 5.2 for Windows.

On many FreeBSD clients we're going on and use StarOffice 5.2 for Linux.
But I do not have any kind of access to the database on our DB server!

At the moment I rund the lates MySQL server on the main servermachine,
I think it's a gamma release, but for our weather-database this server
runs pretty stable. On all machines offering StarOffice I installed
MyODBC and libiodbc/iODBC and I want the ODBC driver to look for its
odbc.ini file in /usr/local/etc. Well, so far. I thought I have set up
the correct way what have to be in odbc.ini, tag "Driver" points to
/usr/local/lib/myodbc.so (which really exists) and all other parameters
seems to be logical set up as described in the poor documentation.
I set up a .odbc.ini in the user's home, too. But StarOffice is not
able to open or read this configuration and I do not know why.
I tried to search the web, without success. The most found instructions
were made for this idiot-secure Windows version. from iODBC I got
less than poor documentation how iODBC gets configured and MyODBC seems not
to be subject of any configuration. To avoid problems in non-resolved paths
I tried the following: I installed odbc.ini as link also in /etc/, /compat/linux/etc,
/compat/linux/usr/local/etc/. No success. It seems, that StarOffice looks
for another file. I set up ODBCINI pointing to several paths, no
success. well, I thought it could be something related to the Linux API/
Emulation, but this seems not the truth.

Can anybody help?

Thanks in advance, Oliver

-
MfG