Date:      Sat, 3 Jul 1999 12:24:06 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Cliff Skolnick <cliff@steam.com>
To:        JMS Internet <webmaster@jmsinternet.com>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Server Slowdown

http://www.apache.org/docs/misc/perf-tuning.html
 -and-
http://www.apache.org/docs/misc/perf.html

are good resources.  I am just wondering if your maxclient setting is too
high.  It is the most common performance problem I see.  People think more
is better, when really you want to avoid having httpd's start the system
paging all on their own.  Look at the RSS of the child, divide size of
memory minus like 16M or so by that number.  Start there and tune away.

Cliff

On Sat, 3 Jul 1999, JMS Internet wrote:

> 	I have been experiencing slow download times with my co-located server...
> After changing out my HD, network card, and adding memory I have not seen much
> improvement at all.  But, after adjusting different Apache settings (max
> users, max keep
> alives, etc.) I have noticed a change of approximately 600kbps of transfer
> higher then
> my original settings.  What I would like to know is if anyone has
> experienced these types
> of problems, or if anyone is willing to give me advice on httpd.conf fine
> tuning.  My server
> currently transfers approximately 30 gigs a day, and is only using
> approximately 30% of
> it's allocated line.  Any help or advice is greatly appreciated... I have
> no idea where to turn
> at this point..
>

> Thanks guys...

Cliff Skolnick          | "They that can give up essential liberty to obtain
Steam Tunnel Operations |  a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty
cliff@steam.com         |  nor safety."
http://www.steam.com/   |                   -- Benjamin Franklin, 1759