Date:      Mon, 15 Feb 1999 23:41:25 -0500 (EST)
From:      "John S. Dyson" <dyson@iquest.net>
To:        toasty@home.dragondata.com (Kevin Day)
Cc:        mike@smith.net.au, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: vm_page_zero_fill

Kevin Day said:

> Perhaps a change that would allow for malloc()'ed and new'ed memory to be
> able to take memory from the to-be-zero'ed list would be better, although
> that may be more work than I'm looking for....

That *might* be reasonable.  A special sbrk or somesuch.  That sbrk
would make a non-prezeroed map entry.  vm_fault would just avoid
doing the zero.

> Maybe this isn't the big area for improvement I thought it would be....

I don't know, but it still sounds reasonable.  Excluding the duplicated
break code (mostly a copy), the changes to the map code (addition of
a flag or so), and fault code (check for the non-zero flag, and don't
zero), that would be perhaps 20-50 lines of code or less.

dyson@iquest.net      | it makes one look stupid