Date:      Wed, 9 Feb 2011 20:46:11 +0000
From:      Chris Rees <utisoft@gmail.com>
To:        freebsd-standards@freebsd.org
Subject:   Should we imitate GNU test's insanity?

Hi all,

I've found so many cases of autoconf failing when porting Linux apps
over, for example scilab and musicpd due to the happiness of GNU test
to accept a == b rather than a = b.

Rather than making a bug report that'll be brushed off (as my bug
report for GNU find was), would it be unthinkable for me to make a
patch for our test to make == acceptable, to stop some wasted porters'
time?

Obviously our behaviour is correct [1], I just wonder if we're cutting
off our noses so as to speak.

Chris

[1] http://pubs.opengroup.org/onlinepubs/009695399/utilities/test.html