Date:      Tue, 16 Jan 1996 09:29:08 +0200 (SAT)
From:      Tony Harverson <tony@hornet.netac.co.za>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   PPP

Hiya all,

I think I'm doing something silly on the setup of dialin PPP.  I have
set it up according to the handbook (with the exception of the kermit
scripts to enable auto-a.  (The line is only ever used for dial-in,
never Dial out or voice, so the modem is NVRAMmed to auto-answer.)

When I dial in and then start PPP (from a root shell or my own) using
the PPPserver script as supplied in the handbook, all that happens is
that the modem hangs up.  Next time I dial in, the line again presents
me with the login prompt as per getty.

I'm confused :)

the following is my ppp/options file :
crtscts                         # Hardware flow control
netmask 255.255.255.224         # netmask ( not required )
196.3.237.171:196.3.237.172     # ip's of local and remote hosts
                                # local ip must be different from one
                                # you assigned to the ethernet ( or
other )
                                # interface on your machine.
                                # remote IP is ip address that will be
                                # assigned to the remote machine
domain netac.co.za              # your domain
passive                         # wait for LCP
ttyd1                           # modem line
(the one line word- wrapped )

is there something I'm doig obviously Wrong ?

Thanks

Tony