Date:      Fri, 05 Jun 1998 08:39:14 -0700
From:      "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
To:        Glen Foster <gfoster@gfoster.com>
Cc:        stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: future of -STABLE (was: kernel compile problem)

> What are the plans for a 3.0-STABLE branch?  Would this be a natural
> aftermath of a 3.0-RELEASE?  Or, perhaps it is contemplated that
> another mechanism for reconciling the sometimes-at-odds interests of
> the development and production camps is in the works?

I suppose it would be correct to say that it will be a natural
aftermath of 3.0 going to release status, but not necessarily right
after 3.0.0 is released, if you get my meaning.  I'd expect the
-stable designator to make the jump only after 3.0 has been in
"mainstream" use for awhile and the early-adopters have come back with
their early reports.  Depending on how things look in the 2-6 months
following the release of 3.0.0, we'll move the -stable tag over when
we feel the time is right.

> The 2.2 branch has been good to me but I am realizing the need to get
> acquainted with 3.0 well before it is in my client's best interest to
> move to it.  For my purposes, some semblance of "stability," in the
> predictability sense as well as the code quality/reliability sense is
> necessary first.

Yes, well, 2.2 will also hopefully continue to be good to its users
until at least the end of this year, after which it will go into
maintenance mode and an eventual state of complete stasis.

> If it isn't asking for too much of a crystal ball, what can we expect
> for the future of 3.0 and 2.2?

Here's something I recently posted to comp.unix.freebsd.misc.  It
may prove instructive: