Date:      Sun, 13 Mar 2005 08:32:53 -0600
From:      Chris <racerx@makeworld.com>
To:        freebsdbeni@spymac.com
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Thunderbird and local mail ?

FreeBSDBeni wrote:

> Hi,
>
> System: 5.3-REL-p5
>
> I would like to get my local mail (from /var/mail/<user>) in my
> Thunderbird (v1.0 - 20050310) mailbox.
>
> I found
> http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-questions/2003-December/027652.html
> which is talking about version 0.3... But I get the same message as
> described after having created a movemail mailbox : "unable to create
> <user>.lock file". I've tried to set up a movemail for the user and
> one for Root, but get the same message back.
>
> So, how do I get those local mails transferred into my mailbox ?

How and why are you getting local mail? If your using TB for pop/smtp
(via ISP), and all you really want is to ensure you get root's mail,
goto /etc/mail and edit aliases to something like this:

root:   youremail@yourisp.com

Then, type newaliases and viola, your root's mail is sent to you at your
ISP's account, then TB will get that mail.  This is only one way of
doing it, and without knowing what and why, that's the 1st thing that
came to mind.

Chris

--
Best regards,
Chris

PGP Fingerprint = D976 2575 D0B4 E4B0 45CC AA09 0F93 FF80 C01B C363