Date:      Sun, 4 Nov 2007 14:18:19 -0800
From:      Gary Kline <kline@tao.thought.org>
To:        Randy Pratt <bsd-unix@embarqmail.com>
Subject:   Re: cannot get screen out of black/black mode...

On Sun, Nov 04, 2007 at 07:22:07AM -0500, Randy Pratt wrote:
> On Sat, 3 Nov 2007 22:14:18 -0800
> Gary Kline <kline@tao.thought.org> wrote:
>

> > 	Where do I set up the screen to never go blan? both in console
> > 	(white on black) mode and in X?  Every so often my video card
> > 	driver (mga) remains blank after 10 to 15 minutes.  And gets
> > 	stuck in this mode.  --FWIW, this did not happen in xorg-6.9--
> > 	only in  the 7.x versions.  My hunch is to never let the screen
> > 	blank.  The screensaver does seem to work, tho.
>
> Blanking in console mode is controlled by /etc/defaults/rc.conf:
>
>   blanktime="300"    # blank time (in seconds) or "NO" to turn it off.
>
> Put your override in /etc/rc.conf .
>
> Xorg blanking can be set via "xset".  To see your settings run
> "xset q".  If you run "xset" without arguments, you can get hints
> on settings:
>
>     For screen-saver control:
>          s [timeout [cycle]]  s default    s on
>          s blank              s noblank    s off
>          s expose             s noexpose
>          s activate           s reset
>
> For more detail, see "man xset".

	Ty, ty, ty!  For unknown reasons (I don't know how I screwed up
	and set this:-), I also set the screen to require my passwd to
	bring it back to life.  But that's another issue; it'll be awhile
	before I figure out the widgets and gimmicks of Gnome/KDE.
	You've givenme a jump.

	Will Gnome choke if I put the ``xset [foobar]'' string  in ~/.gnome2?
	I want to add some initiation commands for the window manager and
	the gnome-[stuff] seems to choke if I make the slightest fumble.

> You may also have some window manager screensaver mode to contend
> with.

	Hm...  Well, I'll experiment.  One at a time; blanktime=NO
	or xset s off.

> Also as a side, since you're using the xf86-video-mga driver, see
>
>   http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/query-pr.cgi?pr=117726

	Wow, that is very close to my problems:: with my G450 and
	the mga-1.9.100, my screen was only bright at 800x600.  My
	workaround,, suggested by a gent in OZ was to use xgamma.
	xgamma -gamma 0.100 only works up to 1280x1024; but I've got
	32megs on this video card, which is plenty.  I haven't written a
	dev driver in years.  The patch code looks interesting.

	I didn't understand that I could file a PR thru FBSD for an
	xorg driver fault... .
> HTH,

	really!

	gary