Date:      Mon, 21 Apr 1997 14:29:39 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Dan Busarow <dan@dpcsys.com>
To:        "Eric J. Schwertfeger" <ejs@bfd.com>
Cc:        Sonya and Jeffrey Metcalf <metcalf@snet.net>, questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Quest? -- Changing "From:" field from sent mail

On Mon, 21 Apr 1997, Eric J. Schwertfeger wrote:
> On Sun, 20 Apr 1997, Dan Busarow wrote:
> > The MASQUERADE_AS suggestions won't work because the mail would
> > then be from jeff@snet.net or sonya@snet.net.  Not metcalf@snet.net.
> > If you only had those two addresses you could probably work a deal
> > with your ISP but your etc.. suggests you have more.
>
> Wouldn't it be possible to use the same type of virtual rewriting that is
> used on virtualized servers?  I know I can set explicitly tell our server
> that any mail from local user X should be rewritten as Y@Z.

Sure.  That'll work.  And genericstable probably will too, to a
degree.

The biggest feature of my preferred solution, which I neglected to
point out :( , is that the identity of the sender and/or recipient
is not lost.

So the original poster can continue to send mail with From: and

When people send responses his provider will dump them into the local
mailbox for metcalf.  When metcalf picks up mail, procmail can be
used to automatically distribute the mail properly.

Anything that rewrites the From:/Reply-To: to a single address
strips the information that would allow you to do this.

You'll have to work with your ISP for this to fly, but it's easy for
the ISP to setup and should be cheap.

Dan
--
 Dan Busarow                                                  714 443 4172
 DPC Systems / Beach.Net                                    dan@dpcsys.com