Date:      Mon, 29 May 2000 01:40:12 -0600
From:      Chris Fedde <chris@fedde.littleton.co.us>
To:        Glenn Johnson <glennpj@bayouhome.net>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: setting up a VPN

On Mon, 29 May 2000 01:26:07 -0500  Glenn Johnson wrote:
 +------------------
 | I can do an ssh session. How do I bind the socket on both ends?
 +------------------

First read the secton in the ppp(1) manual page about "PPP OVER
TCP and UDP (a.k.a Tunnelling)"  then consider the following:

    $ sudo ssh remote -L 6669:remote:6669 sleep 3600
    $ ppp remote

Esentially you set up a "server" on remote using inetd.  When
connection comes into port 6669 it kicks off ppp with the right
arguments.

Addressing at the endpoints can be confusing.  Think of the ssh
port mapping as as a point-to-point circuit.  You may need more
tun devices.

Some issues:  WLOG If the local system is inside the corporate
firewall and the remote system is outside then this technique
extends the boundry of the corporate network to your remote system
and by association to your home security procedures.  I've known
some network administrators to look down on this kind of setup.

chris

--
    Chris Fedde
    303 773 9134