Date:      Sat, 21 Feb 1998 14:20:02 -0800 (PST)
From:      Bill Fenner <fenner@parc.xerox.com>
To:        freebsd-bugs
Subject:   Re: conf/5809: ircd ports not assigned in /etc/services

The following reply was made to PR conf/5809; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Bill Fenner <fenner@parc.xerox.com>
To: FreeBSD-gnats-submit@freebsd.org
Cc:  Subject: Re: conf/5809: ircd ports not assigned in /etc/services
Date: Sat, 21 Feb 1998 14:10:14 PST

 Does IRC use udp?  I thought it only used TCP.

 Assigning the same name to two different ports means that getservbyname()
 may behave unpredictably; it also doesn't help if you care what the real
 port number is and someone uses getservbyport(6667) - if netstat prints
 out "ircd", is that port 6666 or 6667?

 I'd suggest using "ircd2" for 6667 to address these issues (and get rid
 of the udp entries unless IRC really does use udp).

   Bill