Date:      Wed, 24 Jul 2002 23:42:37 +0300
From:      Alexey Zelkin <phantom@freebsd.org>
To:        Bill Huey <billh@gnuppy.monkey.org>
Cc:        java@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: jdk 1.4.0 port

hi,

On Wed, Jul 24, 2002 at 11:54:06AM -0700, Bill Huey wrote:

> > Just in case if someone interesting in porting of jdk 1.4.0
> > to FreeBSD...
>
> Yes, I am.
>
> > After three days of fighting with sun's sources I am happy to notice
> > that with some of hands-backed hacks it's possible now to build
> > hotspot and j2re. Also I got java_g to run and run successfully until
> > exit (with no parameters for now). At least I don't get Mutex and thread
> > switching asserts/lockups anymore in simple configuration.
>
> How did you do this ?
Just downloaded sources and hacked them out.

> with our HotSpot sources ?
I tried. But some patches that I blindly applied from 1.3.1-p6
caused me to whole night sitting in 'gdb'. Actually some of patches
are easely applicable, but some absolutely not.

There're quite many differences between jdk 1.3.1 and 1.4.0. One of them
that green threads are not supported anymore.

Actually I did not see your recent hotspot patches yet.

> I haven't seen the 1.4
> tree yet, so I don't know what the issues are. I've been told that
> -classic was removed from it.
Yep. Only 'server' and 'client' are available.

> > I have to note that it's first successful execution of natively compiled
> > jdk binary, so don't wait for something usable in near future. But if
> > anyone is interested in joining to reviewing/porting work I'd be happy to
> > provide currently available patches.
>
> Under what conditions ?
If you'll continue your great work on FreeBSD jdk port :-)

I am now cleaning up patches and as soon as finish will post them to
java-port mailing list.