Date:      Thu, 3 Feb 2005 17:03:48 +1030
From:      Ian Moore <imoore@picknowl.com.au>
To:        Gary Kline <kline@tao.thought.org>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: realplay-10

--nextPart3408263.GgnLAaUY5N

On Thu, 3 Feb 2005 09:09, Gary Kline wrote:
> On Tue, Feb 01, 2005 at 09:52:56PM +1030, Ian Moore wrote:
> >
> > from man fc-cache:
> > NAME
> >        fc-cache,  fonts.cache  -  create  an index of FreeType font fil=
es
> > in a directory
> >
> > It's normally run when you add new fonts to your system. Of course if y=
ou
> > use kde's font control panel or something similar, it runs fc-cache for
> > you. It's part of X & lives in /usr/X11R6/bin/
> >
> > When you install linux-base, is installs a linux version too
> > (under /usr/compat/linux), but it appears to use the FBSD configuration
> > somehow, since running fc-cache fixes the cache for linux apps as well =
as
> > native ones.
>
> 	Thanks for the datapoint.  Where do I chdir to to run fc-cache?
> 	(There seem to be font files scattered all over the place.)
>
> 	gary
You don't have to chdir anywhere, just run it.
The man pages says:
       If directory arguments are not given, fc-cache uses each  directory =
 in
       the  current  font  configuration.   Each directory is scanned for f=
ont
       files readable by FreeType.  A cache is created which contains  prop=
er-
       ties  of  each font and the associated filename.  This cache is used=
       speed application startup when using the fontconfig library.
So it must look at your X config file & finds out where the font directorie=
s=20
are from that.

Cheers,
=2D-=20