Date:      Fri, 15 Jun 2001 10:27:09 +0100
From:      Mark Drayton <mark.drayton@4thwave.co.uk>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: config for POP3 mail

Cynic (cynic@mail.cz) wrote:
> Also, if you can recommend a setup... I recieve ~200 messages
> a day mainly from several busy mailing lists. Seems like I could
> use e. g. getmail to fetch email and sort it into folders upon
> retrieval, right?

As others have said, fetchmail (ports/mail/fetchmail) will grab your
mail from the POP servers and 'inject' it into your local MTA for
delivery to your mailbox/maildir. fetchmail is really easy to set up --
a simple ~/.fetchmailrc could be:

poll pop.isp1.net proto POP3 user "joebloggs" pass "secret" is "cynic"
here
poll pop.isp2.net proto POP3 user "bloggsj" pass "secret" is "cynic"
here
poll pop.isp3.net proto POP3 user "j.bloggs" pass "secret" is "cynic"
here

The 'is "cynic" here' part tells fetchmail what local user the mail is
destined for. This might be unnecessary.

Running "fetchmail" will pick the mail up for you. It can also be run in
daemon mode which will download any waiting mail at some specified
interval. Check the man page for more details.

Procmail (ports/mail/procmail) will do the sorting for you. I use it to
move list mail into separate folders (using a very neat procmail recipe
I found on the net) and as a basic spam filter.

I read my mail using mutt (ports/mail/mutt) which is a very powerful MUA
that I can't recommend enough. It has some great features, such as
message threading, colour support and 'hooks' which allow you to change
almost any configuration settings depending on your actions (changing
folder, etc).  I use hooks to change my From: address and signature for
list/work mail for example.

If you want a copy of my mutt/procmail configuration files, mail me
off-list and I'll send them to you.

Cheers,

--

Mark Drayton