Date:      Thu, 2 May 2002 22:28:05 -0700
From:      Brooks Davis <brooks@one-eyed-alien.net>
To:        Michael Sierchio <kudzu@tenebras.com>
Cc:        Brooks Davis <brooks@one-eyed-alien.net>, Dave Hayes <dave@jetcafe.org>, Terry Lambert <tlambert2@mindspring.com>, Drew Tomlinson <drew@mykitchentable.net>, bmah@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Difference between RELENG_* and RELENG_*_BP

--xHFwDpU9dbj6ez1V

On Thu, May 02, 2002 at 10:03:24PM -0700, Michael Sierchio wrote:
> Brooks Davis wrote:
>=20
> >>I'm sure you folks hashed this all over before, but really...calling a
> >>branch "-stable" when it really isn't is not good semantic practice
> >>IMNSHO.
> >=20
> >=20
> > DO NOT EVEN CONSIDER STARTING THIS THREAD!!!  It's been hashed over more
> > times then are worth counting on various mailing lists which are fully
> > archived.  If you really care go read the flamewars there, don't start
> > them on the list.  The signal to noise ratio is bad enough without this
> > junk.
>=20
> That's right, let's not make any mention of the pink hippo in the living
> room.  The nomenclature is fup duck.  It should be changed.  Just
> because there's a historical explanation for abusing the language
> doesn't mean it should be perpetuated.

Sorry, shouldn't have flamed like that. :(

However, just ranting about this problem[0] won't accomplish anything
other then wasting a lot of time and energy, IMO.  There's plenty of
historic evidence to support this view in the archives.  If you want
change you'll have to try another one.

If someone has a solid proposal that addresses the various problems,
they should talk to re@freebsd.org who actually makes this sort of
decision and try to get some agreement.  If they do agree, great.
If not, flamewars -stable won't change that.

-- Brooks

[0] I'll agree it is one, but I don't think it's worth the pain and
confusion solving it would require.  Obviously others disagree.

--=20

--xHFwDpU9dbj6ez1V

--xHFwDpU9dbj6ez1V--