Date:      Tue, 28 Mar 2000 22:51:54 +1000 (EST)
From:      Bruce Evans <bde@zeta.org.au>
To:        Gary Jennejohn <garyj@muc.de>
Cc:        Jeroen Ruigrok van der Werven <asmodai@bart.nl>, Sheldon Hearn <sheldonh@uunet.co.za>, Soren Schmidt <sos@freebsd.dk>, Brian Fundakowski Feldman <green@FreeBSD.ORG>, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: DDB and dumping disk

On Tue, 28 Mar 2000, Gary Jennejohn wrote:

> Jeroen Ruigrok van der Werven writes:
> >I am currently only trying to figure out why the DDB way doesn't trigger
> >savecore to recognise the dump.
> >

> Maybe because kern.dumpdev has a different value and savecore can't
> find a dump on it ? Have you tried setting kern.dumpdev by hand and
> then manually invoking savecore ?

Also, dumplo must have a consistent value.  dumpdev should be set using
ddb before the SYSINIT for the dump device is called, or better, never
set dumpdev with ddb, but call setdumpdev(desired_dumpdev) directly at
a suitable time.  When setdumpdev() is not called, some sanity checks
are bypassed, and dumplo is only statically initialized (to 0).  This
means that dumps go to the start of the dumpdev device instead of to
the end.  I think savecore will find the dump provided dumplo is
consistently initialized, so the only problem with starting dumps at
the start of the device is that this will clobber the label if the
device contains the label.

Bruce