Date:      Sun, 7 Jun 1998 12:54:29 -0700
From:      Jeff Kletsky <Jeff@Wagsky.com>
To:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   rc.firewall and ipfw commands

After building from 2.2.6-STABLE I came across a bit of a puzzle with the
apparent loss of DNS and a lot of other services on my machine.  The
"problem" is that the rule numbers for the hard-wired rules in rc.firewall
have been changed:

$fwcmd add 100 pass all from any to any via lo0
$fwcmd add 200 deny all from any to 127.0.0.0/8

Now, if you are using the supplied named firewall options, you're ok.  If
you are using a file containing commands, or other utilities which modify
the firewall, you could be in trouble (I happen to use the
previously-unused rule 100 to monitor what's bringing up dial-on-demand
ppp, so it is routinely deleted and added as the link changes state).

Short-term fix:
---------------
Leave the rules in place so the named firewall types work.
Change rc.firewall to read:

	$fwcmd -f flush			# because "-f flush" fails in a file*
	$fwcmd ${firewall_type}

Long-term fix:

Convince the powers that be to only add the "standard" rules for the named
firewall types.

Jeff

* Including "-f flush" as the first line of the file causes the next ipfw
command in the sequence to abort execution...