Date:      Fri, 5 Sep 2014 16:36:07 +0200
From:      Ivan Voras <ivoras@freebsd.org>
To:        freebsd-pkg@freebsd.org
Subject:   pkg upgrade -f refusing to upgrade packages???

Hello,

I seem to keep either finding problems in pkg or completely missing
the point of it :(

Here's another issue:

# pkg info -g 'cups*'
cups-1.7.3
cups-base-1.7.3_1
cups-client-1.7.3
cups-filters-1.0.55
cups-image-1.7.2
cups-pstoraster-8.15.4_8

Right, so my interpretation of the output above is that I have that
set of packages installed on this system. Now, I would like to
force-upgrade them all:

# pkg upgrade -f `pkg info -g 'cups*'`
Updating FreeBSD repository catalogue...
FreeBSD repository is up-to-date.
Updating FreeBSD_new_xorg repository catalogue...
FreeBSD_new_xorg repository is up-to-date.
All repositories are up-to-date.
The following 3 packages will be affected (of 0 checked):

Installed packages to be REINSTALLED:
    cups-1.7.3 [FreeBSD]
    cups-pstoraster-8.15.4_8 [FreeBSD]
    cups-base-1.7.3_1 [FreeBSD] (options changed)

9 MB to be downloaded.

Proceed with this action? [y/N]: y

So... what happened to the other packages? It looks like pkg is
completely ignoring 3 other packages from the original list.

Indeed, trying to upgrade just this one package missed by "pkg upgrade
above" says:

# pkg upgrade -f cups-image-1.7.2
Updating FreeBSD repository catalogue...
FreeBSD repository is up-to-date.
Updating FreeBSD_new_xorg repository catalogue...
FreeBSD_new_xorg repository is up-to-date.
All repositories are up-to-date.
Checking integrity... done (0 conflicting)
Your packages are up to date.

Erm, no, this package is NOT up to date:

# pkg search cups-image
cups-image-1.7.3_1
cups-image-1.7.3_1

I presume the package is listed twice because it appears in two
repositories. (but this problem is NOT specific to
multiple-repositories issues, the same happens with e.g. p5* packages
which are present only in the official repo).

(this is pkg 1.3.7 on FreeBSD 10)