Date:      Sat, 9 May 1998 13:39:48 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Doug White <dwhite@gdi.uoregon.edu>
To:        "[Icarus]" <icarus@for-president.com>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: KDE

On Sat, 9 May 1998, [Icarus] wrote:

> I have recently installed the KDE manager that came with 2.2.6
> The path I used was /opt/kde to install in.
> I now wonder how to make it find the other files that are required to
> start, the FAQ at kde.org said that I should put my path in a file named
> "PATH" or "LD_LIBRARY_PATH" but my system doesn't seem to find any of
> these.
> What am I doing wrong?

FreeBSD generally doesn't use /opt.  If you want it to work, though,
you'll need to make these changes to your shell startup file (.profile or
.cshrc depending):

. Add `/opt/kde/bin' to the PATH variable list.
. Add `/opt/kde/lib' to the LD_LIBRARY_PATH variable.  You'll probably
  have to add this.

If you use the kde port then it installs in /usr/local/* so no changes are
necessary.