Date:      Tue, 20 Jul 1999 21:06:28 -0600
From:      Brett Glass <brett@lariat.org>
To:        Tani Hosokawa <unknown@riverstyx.net>
Cc:        freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   RE: poor ethernet performance?

At 02:30 PM 7/20/99 -0700, Tani Hosokawa wrote:

 >I'm curious -- How long has FreeBSD existed?

The name "FreeBSD" was coined in 1993, IIRC. But BSD
UNIX has been around for decades, and free versions were
around quite awhile before FreeBSD as a project was started.
386BSD, Net/2, Net/3, and NetBSD all pre-date FreeBSD, I
believe. FreeBSD is largely based on BSD 4.4-Lite, but has
diverged farther from it than NetBSD or OpenBSD.

Linux was first released during a period when the legal
status of the BSDs was in doubt. But it was far, far behind
the BSDs at that point, and was still really a "toy" even
by the time the lawsuit was resolved. BSD, by contrast, was
already mature.

Linux passed the BSDs in installed base, features, and
device support due to evangelism and idealism -- "good
memes," as my friends who are into Memetics say. FreeBSD
is lagging behind because the nominal leaders of the project
have not adopted similar approaches. Even OpenBSD is gaining
on FreeBSD, albeit slowly, due to its reputation as a security-
focused OS at a time when security is becoming a big concern.
This is occurring despite a smaller development group, a
project leader with a reputation for abrasiveness (though I
personally like him), a less user-friendly install, less
optimization for the x86 platform (they need to remain
platform-independent, after all), and less widespread
distribution.

I'm now working with some investors who seem as if they
might be interested in doing a heavily promoted, marketed,
and supported BSD OS distribution. They don't want to
reimplement the wheel or create a fragmentary effort,
and so want to track an existing code base. They're
currently torn between FreeBSD and OpenBSD as a basis
for that package.  OpenBSD is missing a lot of things
FreeBSD has got, but frankly, they're worried about the
FreeBSD development team's antipathy toward evangelism.

I'm rooting for FreeBSD as the final choice. So, I'm really
hoping that the FreeBSD team will be willing to accept,
if grudgingly, a more evangelistic approach to promoting
the OS by third parties.

--Brett Glass