Date:      Thu, 17 Feb 2005 12:09:43 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Robert Watson <rwatson@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Peter Risdon <peter@circlesquared.com>
Cc:        "freebsd-questions@freebsd.org" <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: NFS hangs on 5.3-RELEASE-p5

On Thu, 17 Feb 2005, Peter Risdon wrote:

> On Tue, 2005-02-15 at 14:23 +0200, Simonas Kareiva wrote:
>
> [...]
> >
> > The problem is, that the nfs server hangs after running for a while,
> > like, 20 minutes. Any file operations (at the nfs mount points and
> > below) hang on the ftp server too, making it inaccessible.
>
> I'm having the same problem here, also with 5.3 but in my case with
> rsync. Oddly, the hang often happens at exactly the same point in a file
> hierarchy and I initially suspected a problem with some specific files,
> then with certain file types (it always seemed to hang when copying
> pdfs). But it now seems to be more general than that. In fact, even
> periods of inactivity can cause the nfs mount on the client to time out.

If you do a "ps axl | grep nfsd", what wait channel is shown for the nfsd
that's wedged?  If you compile your kernel with "options DDB", "options
KDB", and "options BREAK_TO_DEBUGGER", wait for the problem to occur,
break into the debugger using ctrl-alt-escape or a serial break on serial
console, "trace pid" the process, and type "continue" to get out of the
debugger, could you send me the output of the stack trace for the nfsd
process?

Robert N M Watson