Date:      Mon, 22 Feb 2010 17:56:16 +0100
From:      Polytropon <freebsd@edvax.de>
To:        Mike Clarke <jmc-freebsd2@milibyte.co.uk>
Cc:        Jerry McAllister <jerrymc@msu.edu>, Aiza <aiza21@comclark.com>, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: dump warning msgs??

On Mon, 22 Feb 2010 16:37:59 +0000, Mike Clarke <jmc-freebsd2@milibyte.co.uk> wrote:
> I see the "expected xxx, got yyy" type of message every time I do a
> restore from a snapshot dump but it's never caused any problems.

The message is issued by restore, not by dump. According
to /usr/src/sbin/restore/restore.c, beginning at line 620,
the explaination is:

	If we find files on the tape that have no corresponding
	directory entries, then we must have found a file that
	was created while the dump was in progress. Since we have
	no name for it, we discard it knowing that it will be
	on the next incremental tape.

This fits the "snapshot theory". Use the source, Luke. :-)

--
Polytropon
Magdeburg, Germany