Date:      Sat, 21 Jul 2018 12:14:35 +0200
From:      "Ronald Klop" <ronald-lists@klop.ws>
To:        freebsd-arm@freebsd.org, "Nicola Mingotti" <nmingotti@gmail.com>
Subject:   Re: Issues with packages

On Sat, 21 Jul 2018 11:43:00 +0200, Nicola Mingotti <nmingotti@gmail.com>
wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I am working with FreeBSD-11.1 in BeagleBone Black Rev.C.
> In the last week I needed to have a webcam streaming from the BBB and i
> discovered
> there are some issues with packages.
>
> Problem. There are missing popular packages for ARM.
> For example _ffmpeg_ and _vlc_ but also e.g. _kde..._
>
> I was able to compile the following missing packages from ports
> without making any change to the Makefiles.
> with :
> #> make -DBATCH install
> #> make package
> for packages:
> vlc-2.2.8_6,4.txz
> ffmpeg0-0.7.17_14,1.txz
> opencv-core-3.4.1_1.txz
> ffmpeg-4.0.1,1.txz
> leptonica-1.76.0.txz
> tesseract-3.05.02_1.txz
>
> I compiled those packages directly on the BBB with the following caveat.
> Before running the "make" i was checking all dependencies
> of each package in FreshPorts and resolving them one by one
> installing the relevant *packages*.
>
> The reason for this is of course that BBB is very slow, if it had
> to recursively compile all stuff it needed for e.g. ffmpg i could never
> make it.
>
> So, if i can compile the packages the central system should also be
> able to do it. Maybe there are some issues there.
>
> Bye

I guess BBB is armv6. You can see the build packages here:
http://pkg.freebsd.org/.
Armv6 only has quartely packages. Maybe there is a difference in the
quarterly packages and a checkout of /usr/ports which makes vlc, etc.
buildable from ports, but is not in the quarterly pkgs yet.

Just an educated guess but I might be wrong.

There was
http://portsmon.freebsd.org/portoverview.py?category=multimedia&portname=vlc
in the past, showing why a pkg is not being build, but it is broken for a
while already.

Regards,
Ronald.