Date:      Thu, 16 Nov 1995 09:08:58 -0500
From:      Glen Foster <gfoster@gfoster.com>
To:        hardware@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Which graphics board should I buy?

I have also had great success with S3-based boards although my
experiences with Tseng boards does not seem to have been as bad as
yours.  For example the STB Lightning (W32P-based) is an adequate
board.

One board in particular to stay away from is the Hercules Dynamite
series.  These are hell to configure and exhibit very flakey behaviour
when switching resolutions.

It seems that hand-tuning mode lines (a real pain, I admit) has gone
out of fashion.  You will almost certainly achieve a better display if
you do this for almost any board.

The XFree86 home page, http://www.xfree86.org (what else?), has a fair
amount of information on supported boards although they are careful
not to make a recommendation.  They also have links to various board
vendors home pages so one can review specs., etc.