Date:      Fri, 15 Jun 2001 02:49:55 -0700
From:      "Ted Mittelstaedt" <tedm@toybox.placo.com>
To:        "Bill Moran" <wmoran@iowna.com>, "Cynic" <cynic@mail.cz>
Cc:        "rootman" <rootman@xmission.com>, <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   RE: Ethics and nature (was Re: Justification for using FreeBSD)

I don't think this was always the case.  In the beginning, I think that
Microsoft did have and allow employees to produce an honestly quality
product.

The problem is that the good software developers that can and do produce
this kind of code are a valuable commodity.  In short, they can work where
they want for how much they want and doing what they want.

Microsoft's problem with this is that their customers build these big
expensive
systems with their software, then expect the software to be maintained
forever.
As a result, a lot of what Microsoft does is drudgery, hack work of chasing
bugs
and maintaining old, backwardsly compatible code.  This is work that isn't
very fun and your best developers don't want to do it.  But, it needs to be
done so you end up hiring a bunch of inexperienced and incompetent
programmers,
and of course your not going to pay them much, and of course they are going
hate you and hate the work but they don't have anything else they can do so
they stay and crank out crummy code.

If good programmers ran Microsoft, then every new version of Windows would
be
brand-new and have little backwards compatibility.  But if that were the
case
the wealthy customers would revolt and Microsoft would disintegrate.

>M$ has all kinds of theories as to why highly qualified hackers would
>work on projects and give their code away for free. They speculate that
>hackers get an ego trip when a piece of their code gets committed. Did
>it ever occur to Microsoft that sitting back and watching the
>performance specs on a FreeBSD system makes the hacker proud? That
>working back and forth with some other hackers on a coding problem is
>fun? Is it unbelieveable to them that some of these hackers fall asleep
>at night with big grins on their faces thinking "Boy ... I REALLY got
>that new VM code optomized!"

Actually, yes they know all about this.  The problem is that there is
simply no way you can campaign effectively against this, if you admit that
the Open Source programmers are proud of their effort, then the second
you say anything against it your basically criticizing quality as well as
turning the debate into a personality conflict, and there is not a snowballs
chance in hell you will win this kind of argument.

The only chance they have of fighting Open Source is if they criticize the
code itself, and it's license.  Comments like the "ego trip" are basically
statements that FreeBSD is written by amateurs, and thus is full of
problems.