Date:      Tue, 2 May 2000 11:46:49 -0500
From:      "Shawn Barnhart" <swb@grasslake.net>
To:        "Mike Smith" <msmith@FreeBSD.ORG>
Cc:        <freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: HPDA/DAC960PL (was Re: How good is AMI MegaRAID support?)

----- Original Message -----
From: "Mike Smith" <msmith@FreeBSD.ORG>
| > | I'm fairly sure that 2.42 or later will work.
| >
| > I took a leap of faith and downloaded 2.73 from Mylex web site and
| > flashed it onto my HPDA aka 960PL card.  With the Mylex utils and the
| > new firmware I've found I have two dead disks in this cabinet, but I was
| > able to format the three remaining as RAID5.
| >
| > Unfortunately, I'm still getting the above error message. Any potential
| > workarounds?
|
| No - it's going to take a driver fix.  Let me get back to you on this in
| a day or two.  (bug me if I don't)

Well, I have good news, I think.  The mlx driver _seems_ to work as-is (from
a kernel built with 4.0-STABLE).  I get a warning about an old BIOS rev, but
it looks functional.  The driver reported the correct logical drive size and
no other errors.

It's not a complete test, though.  The machine (HP LX Pro 166) it was in has
a fsck'd memory controller and won't boot a 4.x kernel _at all_ (hangs
creating the memory disk(s)), so a I swapped it into another LX Pro sans
disk drives and watched the kernel boot.  I'm definitely not getting the
error messages I got about the mailbox on the other DAC960PL.  I'm not able
to do a whole lot more testing of it until I get a new system board for the
damaged LX Pro 166, which the Boss thankfully hadn't yet removed 24x7 4 Hour
support.  When I get it running, I'll get 4-STABLE on it (on the array) and
have a go at mlxcontrol and see what it will and won't do.

For what's it's worth, this DAC960 PL is a series 4030-354.  The other one
was a series 4030-345.  Mylex says no BIOS upgrade chips to anyone with a
pre-4030-350 series card. Whatever the reason there must be some significant
architectual differences starting with series 350 that make them kind of
braindead.

Mylex's web site is down/unreachable right now, or I'd order the firmware
upgrade, too.