Date:      Thu, 30 Apr 1998 21:39:55 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Garrett Wollman <wollman@khavrinen.lcs.mit.edu>
To:        Karl Denninger  <karl@mcs.net>
Cc:        Jason Nordwick <nordwick@scam.XCF.Berkeley.EDU>, freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Time to get a backup device, suggestions ?

<<On Thu, 30 Apr 1998 18:31:55 -0500, Karl Denninger  <karl@mcs.net> said:

> You're dangerously close to needing "big league" backup capacity; DLTs are
> currently "god" in that area, both in terms of capacity and transfer rate.

Actually, ``god'' in that area is a box made by Ampex called DST
that's about twice the size of a VCR, uses $150 15"x6"x2" tapes, and
costs about $150,000 a pop for the transport.  (They tried to sell us
one, but we'd have to pay two FTEs to change tapes before that would
be cost-effective.)  They sell boatloads of the things to outfits like
banks (usually with a $2 million library system attached).

> We run 2 15/30G 2000XT DLT drives.  Next step up for us is DLT7000s - those
> suckers are EXPENSIVE, but they are both large (20/40G) and fast (best speed
> out there right now).

We bought DDS-3 drives in our latest round of machines.  They are
incredibly cheap, and the vendor claims they do 24G on a single tape.
Only fly in the ointment: our stock room doesn't carry DDS-3 tapes,
and I don't know how much they cost (probably a lot more than DDS-2
tapes, which go for peanuts).

-GAWollman