Date:      Sun, 19 May 2002 22:02:49 -0700
From:      "Philip J. Koenig" <pjklist@ekahuna.com>
To:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   More tar problems

It seems like some aspects of tar have changed since earlier 4.x
FreeBSD.  I used to use the following command to facilitate copying
filesystems from an old hard disk to a new one, but it no longer
works on 4.6-PRE:

tar clf - -C /start_dir -X /excluded_dir -X /another_excluded_dir . | tar xpvf - -C /destination_dir

("dir" also means "filesystem")

Problem seems to be it ignores the "-X" option. I get this kind of
result:

tar: can't add file -X : No such file or directory
tar: Removing leading / from absolute path names in the archive.

So it seems it ignores the -X option and then tries to add the
argument to the -X option to the archive.  I also tried "--exclude-
from" instead of -X, same result.

--
Philip J. Koenig                                       pjklist@ekahuna.com
Electric Kahuna Systems -- Computers & Communications for the New Millenium