Date:      Thu, 14 Aug 1997 17:49:46 +0900
From:      KATO Takenori <kato@migmatite.eps.nagoya-u.ac.jp>
To:        dg@root.com
Cc:        terry@lambert.org, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Read-only mount of union filesystem

>    I changed the behavior in FreeBSD to what it is now (which is also the
> same as it is in Lite-2). For information on why it is this way, see PR#782.
> In my opinion, the current structure is correct.

I understand why vfs layer shouldn't reference v_mount.  But, IMHO, fs
independent operation should be in upper layer.  The problem in PR#782
may be solved by following method:

1. Prepare special mount struct whose mnt_flag is or'ed by special
   flag (e.g., MNT_DEAD).
2. When vnode is cleaned, v_mount points the special mount struct
   instead of beeing NULL'ed.
3. vfs layer checks MNT_RDONLY and MNT_DEAD.

----
KATO Takenori <kato@ganko.eps.nagoya-u.ac.jp>
Dept. Earth Planet. Sci., Nagoya Univ.,  Nagoya, 464-01, Japan
PGP public key: finger kato@eclogite.eps.nagoya-u.ac.jp