Date:      Sat, 5 Jun 1999 14:37:29 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Julian Elischer <julian@whistle.com>
To:        Nick Hibma <nick.hibma@jrc.it>
Subject:   Re: cdevsw_add

Basically I'm not working on devfs at the moment since the bit that made
it workable was ripped out with extreme prejudice by someone.  I'm still
absolutly convinced that a dynamic device registration and export
framework is required in the long run, but I'm not fussed if it's based on
the current devfs or an successor.

 I'd feel a bit happier about spending more time on it If I had any
thought that the result would not be ripped out by the throat as soon as
it works again, by a maniac that doesn't understand that it's a working
subsystem (it was fully working at the time it was vandaliased but the
nice fellow didn't even try it, and I got no warning except the commit
message). There were two known problems that were based in other parts of
the code (mfs and some vfs/module stuff) And the install software couldn't
install with it.

If PHK is working an a framework to make this easier, I'd love to get a
white-paper on the topic because it's all unknown stuff at the moment.

To get it going, you basically need to reverse the backout commits
done by SOS a year ago.

DEVSF itself works, but it needs a different disk subsystem to
be able to represent dynamic disk partitions properly.

julian