Date:      Sat, 22 Dec 2001 15:36:46 +0100
From:      Axel Scheepers <axel@axel.truedestiny.net>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   remote x-win boot requirements

Hi All,
I'm building a prototype of what eventually will be a server to remotely boot
100-250 clients using netboot.
I made one before but that was for only 10 clients and didn't do the x-windows
startup. Can anyone point out some nice starting points of my memory/cpu
requirements of the server and how to implement the x-windows startup ?
I was thinking of something like this:

Dual Athlon 1500
1Gb Mem
500Gb Disk array for the remote data
Couple of DLT drives for backup (maybe something else..don't know yet)
1Gb Swap
19-39MB for the base install

Client:
Intel Celeron/Cheap Athlon
64MB Mem
3-com NIC with Bootrom

This is just a quick count but I think it will be enough for about 150 clients.
Has anyone ever build something like this before and encountered some serious
problems ?
Furthermore I'm curious if I can share a lot of data between the clients (
x-win and netscape etc.) I planned to do the following:
/
/remote
/remote/10.0.0.1
..
/remote/10.0.0.200

with, of course the neccesary things in it like /bin /etc etc..

Any help is appreciated

Thanks,

--
Axel Scheepers