Date:      Fri, 27 Apr 2001 14:16:20 +1000
From:      Tony Landells <ahl@austclear.com.au>
To:        "Jonathan Fortin" <jfortin@akalink.com>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   OT: naming Web servers (was Re: *.example.net)

jfortin@akalink.com said:
>> If you haven't followed convention then you're making life difficult
>> for other people anyway, and making "all roads lead to Rome" would
>> seem a contradiction.
>
> No offense, but you will have to explain yourself better. Their is no
> client-side difficultys, usually people type in ww, wwww and it will
> bring them to the correct area.

What I'm saying is that if you're naming your Web server something other
than "www.yourdomain.com" then you're doing a pretty good job of saying
"I don't want people to come to my server unless I've told them its name",
so to then set up wildcard records in DNS that say "I've got no idea what
you typed, but try this address" would seem to achieve exactly the opposite.

As you say, the most common typos would be things like "ww" or "wwww".
Most people will realise pretty quickly what they've done wrong (since
they're probably used to doing it).  But if you're really concerned
about it you can throw in a couple of extra DNS entries to catch the
most common mistakes.

jfortin@akalink.com said:
> Right but that has nothing to do with dns wildcarding.

That's been my point all along--that there's very little use for DNS
wildcarding.

Just because he asked about DNS wildcarding doesn't mean that's a good
solution for what he wants to do.  As it happens (and for the reasons
I originally outlined) I consider DNS wildcarding to be a pretty bad
solution for almost any problem.

However, having a clearer understanding of what Chris is doing I can
see why he wants the convenience of DNS wildcarding.  Personally, I'd
still take the higher-maintenance path.

Cheers,
Tony
--
Tony Landells					<ahl@austclear.com.au>
Senior Network Engineer				Ph:  +61 3 9677 9319