Date:      Fri, 14 Aug 1998 12:31:33 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Alex <garbanzo@hooked.net>
To:        Kyle Mestery <mestery@winternet.com>
Cc:        Alfred Perlstein <bright@hotjobs.com>, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: new compiler?

On Fri, 14 Aug 1998, Kyle Mestery wrote:
[...]
> > gcc 2.8.1? (i've heard masses of people complain it's buggy)
> > ecgs (not heard much... but i know it has some interesting optimizations
> > for i386, and better C++ support)
> > anything else?
> >
> I have heard the opposite.  I have heard that egcs is buggy.:)  On one of
> the NetBSD lists, someone said the latest egcs release only compiles
> decent code on ix86 and sparc platforms.  And Terry has said before that
> the way they handle threads is broken, because you must compile thread
> support into the compiler.  I haven't heard as many bad things about
> gcc-2.8.1.

Well, I've tried a really recent egcs from their anoncvs server, and tried
gcc 2.8 from the ports tree.  egcs wouldn't even link when I tried to
make a shared Qt lib, but worked nicely with static libs (albeit while
eating up a few hundred megs of disk space..).  gcc 2.8 nicely linked
everything (Qt+various KDE stuff I'm working on), but when I tried to
actually run everything.. I got seg faults or bus errors.  Too bad Qt
won't build with TenDRA...

- alex