From:      "Jeroen C. van Gelderen" <jeroen@vangelderen.org>
To:        Kris Kennaway <kkennawa@physics.adelaide.edu.au>
Cc:        Adam Shostack <adam@breakwater.homeport.org>, nr1@ihug.co.nz, freebsd-security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: secure backup

Kris Kennaway wrote:
> > PGP provides a password based encryption mode, just use that, you will
> > still benefit from PGPs compression and checksumming facilities.
>
> Didn't know that. What cipher does it use?

This feature has been available since PGP's early days. It uses PGP's
default symmetric cipher.

> > > Pass the data through three
> > > rounds of bdes doing an encrypt, decrypt, followed by encrypt (with different
> > > keys, of course) and you've got yourself 3DES, which bdes doesn't seem to do
> > > natively. Make the keys random, and stick those in a PGP file if you like.
> >
> > If you assume PGP is available, why not just use it? Using bdes(1) in
> > this setup sounds way more complicated (thus error-prone) to me.
>
> There's no /need/ to use PGP in this step - clearly you could do anything you
> like with the local keys, such as printing them out, or storing them as
> plaintext (or keeping a constant key used for multiple backups).

I realize that. But using bdes(1) when you have PGP available is not a
very good idea. Using bdes(1) actually never is a good idea because of
it's crappy key handling (no hashing). bdes(1) allows you to shoot
yourself in the foot without you realizing it.

> > > Transport the data stream to the server using ssh -c none (no need for the
> > > overhead of another encryption layer unless you're really paranoid)
> >
> > Just being cautious is enough. Adding a layer of SSH encryption will at
> > least twarth offline dictionary attacks on the backup passphrase.
> > Encryption is cheap, why disable it if you don't have to?
>
> If you use a random passphrase as in my suggestion then dictionary attacks are
> worthless and you're only vulnerable to an (expensive)  brute force keyspace
> search. Encrypting the already encrypted stream doesn't buy you anything I can
> see, except the extra CPU time. But it's not a big deal.

Uhm, a dose of reality here: how many people will pick random
passphrases of sufficient length? There is almost never reason to
disable SSH encryption.

Cheers,
Jeroen
--