Date:      Thu, 07 Jun 2001 23:08:55 -0600
From:      Chris Fedde <chris@fedde.littleton.co.us>
To:        Randy Primeaux <randy@verbose.org>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: softupdates crash -> data recovery ?

On Thu, 07 Jun 2001 17:10:12 -0700  Randy Primeaux wrote:
 +------------------
 | How might I go about recovering data from a disk after softupdates
 | crashed?
 |
 | Shortly after enabling softupdates on /usr, I had a system freeze
 | (back in January), and upon boot the next day, found:
 |
 | /dev/ad4s1f: CANNOT READ: BLK 16
 | /dev/ad4s1f: NOT LABELED AS A BSD FILE SYSTEM (unused)
 |
 | /dev/ad4s1f is /usr including /usr/home
 | Disk is an IBM DTLA 307030.
 +------------------

That is scary. Still I doubt that it was softupdates that caused the
problem.  Softupdates does not chage the disk label.  It changes
some flags in the file system superblock.  I suspect that what you
realy have is a drive failure.  It is time to get a new drive and restore
from your dumps You do have file system dumps don't you?

If you want to try recovering the disk you might try the following.

    Using /stand/sysinstall see if you can re-label the failed drive
    If that succeeds then try to fsck the drive
    If that succeeds then try to mount it
    if that succeeds make a back up and recover it to a new drive.

Good Luck

--
    Chris Fedde