Date:      Mon, 13 May 1996 15:27:46 -0400 (EDT)
From:      "Marc G. Fournier" <scrappy@ki.net>
To:        Craig Stratton <craigs@brandcomms.com>
Cc:        "'questions@freebsd.org'" <questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: I have run out of inodes

On Mon, 13 May 1996, Craig Stratton wrote:

> Hi, i have a problem with my news server. One of the disks has runout of inodes and it is only at 36% capacity. What can i do to remedy this problem ?
> Can i dynamically allocate more inodes, will i need to re format the hard disk, or what else can i do ?

	you need to reformat that hard disk.  For news articles, I've found
the best to be 'newfs -i 2048', which allocates one inode for every 2k.
Default, I believe, is 4 to 1?

	On the other hand, I've found that if you go with a seperate file
system for the .overview records, go with something like 'newfs -i 8192',
which gives you a bit more storage space on those file systems.

Marc G. Fournier                                  scrappy@ki.net
Systems Administrator @ ki.net               scrappy@freebsd.org