Date:      Sun, 11 Apr 2004 05:44:32 +0200
From:      Joan Picanyol i Puig <lists-gmane@biaix.org>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Can't *write* to a hard disk, not even a slice using fdisk(8).

On Sun, 11 Apr 2004 00:45:14 +0200, Julien Gabel wrote:
>> GEOM doesn't let you touch the disk if some partition is mounted off it.
>> Try setting kern.geom.debugflags to 1

I suck. This should have said:

GEOM doesn't let you write to an active device, except if you set
kern.geom.debugflags=16

> I changed the sysctl's flag :
>  # sysctl kern.geom.debugflags=1
>  kern.geom.debugflags: 0 -> 1

so this should be 16 not 1

>  # mount
>  /dev/ar0s1a on / (ufs, local)
>  devfs on /dev (devfs, local)
>  /dev/ad8s1d on /home (ufs, local, nodev, noexec, nosuid, with quotas,
> soft-updates)
>  /dev/ar0s1e on /tmp (ufs, local, nodev, nosuid, soft-updates)
>  /dev/ar0s1f on /usr (ufs, local, soft-updates)
>  /dev/ar0s1d on /var (ufs, local, noexec, soft-updates)

If ad8 is part of ar0 GEOM will try to keep you from shooting yourself on
the foot. You should take ad8 out of the array first.

> Because the problematic disk is not actually used, I can try some commands
> on it if someone think it may be interesting.

On the hardware side, you should look for some diagnostic tool from the
manufacturer.

qvb
--
pica