Date:      Wed, 31 Aug 2005 07:07:49 -0500
From:      eculp@bafirst.com
To:        freebsd-pf@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FW: Application layer firewall on FreeBSD, is it possible ?

Quoting Daniel Dvo=C5=99=C3=A1k <dandee@hellteam.net>:

> ... but you know, proxy is not what I am asking, proxy is not firewall.
>
> We do not need to restrict everything and all members.
>
> We like full routeable network with full access to IPv6 / IPv4 internet
> without any necessary action like configure proxy clients at all pc=C2=B4=
s our
> members.
>
> We only want to deny only p2p applications by default for all pc=C2=B4s
> regardless of used protocol/ports and to allow grantting access to p2p
> networks each members in individual way, because we have to prevent anoth=
er
> letter from our ISP which was contacted by BSA that from our public IP (
> from one member in private ip space ) ... traffic ... share ... violate .=
..
> authorial law.
>
> So of course it must be combination of IP and application osi model
> firewall.
>
> Gateway server should check all packets and their contents to decide if
> allowed or denied in fast way like l7-filter on Linux OS.
>
> So is it possible on FreeBSD OS ?

Dan,

Thanks for bringing this up.  I have been looking for a way to control
p2p for a while also.  It is a problem that I can see only getting
worse.  I was unaware of l7-filter on Linux and want to see how it
works because for us the word "FAST" is key. If you find a solution, I
would appreciate your posting it to the list, which I'm sure you will
do anyway.

Have a great day,

ed