Date:      Sat, 01 Feb 2003 22:49:10 -0800
From:      Darren Pilgrim <dmp@pantherdragon.org>
To:        Lowell Gilbert <freebsd-questions-local@be-well.no-ip.com>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Why should I use `config;make depend;make...` instead of `make kernel` when building from a stock source tree? (ref. Handbook sec. 9.3)

Lowell Gilbert wrote:
> Darren Pilgrim <dmp@pantherdragon.org> writes:
>>There are two sets of commands you can use to build a kernel in FreeBSD:
>>
>>"Procedure 1" is the old way: config, make depend, make, make
>>install. "Procedure 2" is the make kernel sequence from makeworld.
>>
>>Section 9.3 of the Handbook says I should use procedure 1 if I haven't
>>updated my source tree.  I can understand then need to use procedure 2
>>if I've updated my source tree, but why shouldn't I use it with an
>>unmodified tree?
>
> There's no reason you shouldn't.  That section of the handbook
> explicitly says that you can use either procedure in that case.

Hey you're right.  In the bulleted list just before the two procedures are
listed it says, "#If you are building a new kernel without updating the
source code...you can use either procedure."  After the two procedures are
listed, it says, "If you have not upgraded your source tree in any way...you
should use the config, make depend, make, make install sequence."  That
sounds contradictory to me.  What do you think?