Date:      Mon, 11 Apr 2005 22:34:39 +0200
From:      Jose M Rodriguez <josemi@freebsd.jazztel.es>
To:        freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Cc:        Mikhail Teterin <mi+mx@aldan.algebra.com>
Subject:   Re: mozilla's install hanging on amd64

El Monday 11 April 2005 21:44, Roman Neuhauser escribi=F3:
> # scottl@samsco.org / 2005-04-11 10:34:48 -0600:
> > Mikhail Teterin wrote:
> > >My whole point, Scott, is that there is nothing special about "my
> > > gcc flags". NOTHING. Setting CPUTYPE to match one's processor
> > > flavor is a long-documented way to do things -- fact. Such
> > > setting results in the corresponding -march=3DXXX automatically --
> > > fact. All ports must handle this. Those that can not are broken.
> > > Plan and simple. There is nothing to argue: `-O -pipe
> > > -march=3Dopteron' must work.
> <snip/>
>
>     I think this thread shows that there is a need for a written
> policy on -march / -mcpu / -mtune gcc options in ports. Heated
> discussions like this one could be avoided if the Porters Handbook
> included an article or chapter on this.

And more work in /usr/share/mk/bsd.cpu.mk.  Beggining with a way to take=20
in account what gcc will be used (we can't use -mtune for gcc=20

And a more conservative approach (-march=3Dpentium/pentiun-mmx/i686 and=20
=2Dmtune/-mcpu to the real cpu).

But my skill are not in the way. I prefer cut CFLAGS in conflictive=20
ports.

=2D-
  josemi