Date:      Thu, 27 May 1999 13:28:30 -0600 (MDT)
From:      Drew Eckhardt <drew@plutotech.com>
To:        freebsd-hardware@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Support for Symbios vs. Adaptect SCSI

In article <199905271847.OAA07996@quark.ChrisBowman.com> you write:
>At 09:17 AM 5/27/99 -0600, Justin T. Gibbs wrote:
>There already exists the SCRIPTS assembler that produces C code structures
>containing the data as preinitialized arrays.

When I wrote the Linux 53c810 driver, the assembler was a DOS-only
product (this may or may not still be the case).  At the time, my job
was maintaining a BASIC compiler, and writing an assembler in C was too
close to work for comfort so I kludged one together in Perl.

It's freely redistributable, and generates Symbios compatable structures
(by default, it embmeds the source as comments so it's easy to match the
instruction pointer address to a source line when an error is encountered).

>Perhaps you could describe what exactly you are looking for in an
>assembler and I could work on it for you.

The assembler constitutes a fairly small part of the project.  IIRC,
I was fairly motivated when I wrote my driver, and got the first release
out after about 80 hours.  The assembler was done in an afternoon, and
debugged after work the next day.