Date:      Fri, 9 Mar 2001 21:41:01 -0600 (CST)
From:      Nick Rogness <nick@rogness.net>
To:        "G. Jason Middleton" <gmiddl1@gl.umbc.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: NAT without a firewall.

On Fri, 9 Mar 2001, G. Jason Middleton wrote:

> Can i run natd without firewall ?  I see all these instructions for
> running a firewall and natd together.  What options do i need in the
> kernel and rc.conf just to run natd?

	You need ipfw to run natd.  natd itself does not divert traffic
	and has  no way to "intercept" traffic to make it's necessary
	changes.  So ipfw sends the packet to port 8668 (natd).  natd
	makes it's changes and reinjects it into the firewall set at the
	next rule.  AFAIK.

Nick Rogness <nick@rogness.net>
- Keep on routing in a Free World...
  "FreeBSD: The Power to Serve!"