Date:      Sat, 12 Aug 2000 16:00:21 +0200
From:      Siegbert Baude <siegbert.baude@gmx.de>
To:        Odhiambo Washington <vedette@iconnect.co.ke>, "freebsd-questions@freebsd.org" <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD 4.1-RELEASE and Exim

Hello Odhiambo,

> Does anyone have an idea how I can run Exim on this platform? I have
> 4.1-RELEASE but I cannot get exim in the ports. Trying make install in the
> /usr/ports/mail/exim tells me it is 'prohibited' because of some reason.

Tried it one minute ago: It compiles just fine for me on 4.1-Stable.

Make sure to be root, when making some programs out of the port tree.
Otherwise you will get:

[...]
Receiving exim-texinfo-3.10.tar.gz: 310713 bytes
310713 bytes transferred in 2.2 seconds (136.72 kBps)
===>  Extracting for exim-3.16
>> Checksum OK for exim-3.16.tar.gz.
>> Checksum OK for exim-texinfo-3.10.tar.gz.
===>   exim-3.16 depends on shared library: X11.6 - found
mkdir: /usr/ports/mail/exim/work: Permission denied
*** Error code 1

Stop in /usr/ports/mail/exim.
*** Error code 1

Stop in /usr/ports/mail/exim.
*** Error code 1

Stop in /usr/ports/mail/exim.
bash-2.04$

If you tried compiling as root, try to separate the steps of make to
know exactly, where the error happens.
Do:
make extract
make configure