Date:      Tue, 12 Mar 2002 10:44:35 +0000
From:      Pete French <pfrench@firstcallgroup.co.uk>
To:        stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Problems mounting SMB filesystems at boot time.

Before SMBFS was integrated into the base system I used to mount
several shared from NT servers at boot time, using lines in /etc/fstab
to do so. I cannot get this to work using the integrated SMBFS
however. I always get "smbffs: cannt assign requessted address" or something
like that - its a message at boot time and doesnt seem to end up in any
logs that I have get found.

This also prevents the system from booting as it will not get past
this point. I can mark the discs as "noauto", in which case the system
boots but they do not get mounted (I seem to recall that smbfs had a script
in local/rc.d which mounted noauto smbfs filesystems after boot). Adding
the "noauto" is what is suggested in the manpage, but for me it simply does
nothing.

After boot the filesystems will mount quite happily, I have all the correct
info in nsmb.conf for the actual mount to succeed, and all the machine
names and IP addresses are in /etc/hosts.

I have done a web search and come up with nothing. Am I the only one affected
by this problem ? It affects all the machines I have upgraded.

I realise this is an old problem (and one I should probably have mentioned
when the change was first made) but at the time I simply unmountedthe discs
and forgot. This week, however, I need to make changes which will ensure
these discs are mounted at boot time so I have been looking into it again. I
guess I vaguley hoped that updates to stable would have made the problem go
away. No such luck :-)

Suggestions ?

-pcf.