Date:      Fri, 24 Aug 2001 16:48:39 -0500
From:      David Kelly <dkelly@hiwaay.net>
To:        adyas@twowaytv.co.uk
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: CD Writer

On Wed, Aug 22, 2001 at 04:26:08PM +0100, Alex Dyas wrote:
> My boss has tasked me with getting a FBSD machine up and running to use as a CD
> writing station.  I have the PC, just need to get the writer.  What do people
> suggest?  Most FreeBSD compatible probably ranks as the highest priority for me,
> before speed etc, and I would prefer IDE over SCSI.

Depends a lot as to what you want to do with the CD-R as to whether or
not you have to have SCSI. If you want to run cdrdao then you have to
have SCSI until somebody cares enough who is capable enough to teach
cdrdao another interface.

I like to make "working copies" of my audio CD's for the car. Cdrdao not
only writes, but makes simple work of reading the audio masters. And if
lacking CD-TEXT it can fetch that information and add it to the copy.

I already have SCSI interfaces, so that isn't an issue. Good Symbios
based '875 cards were floating around last year for $40. The
NCR/Symbios/LSI 81X/82X/87X/89X based cards are excellent values, many
can not tell the difference in performance vs. Adaptec's best. Adaptec
makes some trash as well. Stay away from the cards designed to be
bundled with CDROMs and the like. Have never used a 2930 in FreeBSD but
have 2 in Macs and they are OK. But even the oldest surplus 2940 would
be a good choice to host your CD-RW.

This is the 8/4/32 SCSI CD-RW I bought last year for about $130:
cd0: <HP CD-Writer+ 9200 1.0e> Removable CD-ROM SCSI-4 device
cd0: 10.000MB/s transfers (10.000MHz, offset 15)
cd0: cd present [324007 x 2048 byte records]
da0 at sym0 bus 0 target 0 lun 0

Bought the above HP SCSI drive after a Philips "803" or something
(roughly same specs as the HP above) turned out to be junk. Had two
problems. First was reading a CD raw with dd came up one block short.
Second was no matter what software was used to burn the CD-R (burncd and
the bundled Adaptec software under NT4) the drive had a terrible time
reading its own work. Different brands of media made little difference.
My old stock of 4x Verbatim was unusable. The blanks included with the
drive were no better. Was glad to only pay 15% or 20% to Circuit City to
get rid of it. This is the drive widely advertised in the US at $60 or
$70 after rebates.

Only reason I bought the Philips IDE CD-RW was because the Sony
something-160E turned out to be a winner every which way I tried. The
bundled software stinks/stank/stunk. But the drive works great. Sony has
recently upgraded the software and I haven't given that much of a run.
The original version had C:\ hardcoded somewhere in its temp scratch
space path in spite of a user option to move elsewhere. Burncd under
FreeBSD works very well with it.

Am thinking about a firewire CD-RW as a companion for iTunes on my Mac.

--
David Kelly N4HHE, dkelly@hiwaay.net