Date:      Wed, 16 Aug 2000 11:02:01 -0700
From:      Brooks Davis <brooks@one-eyed-alien.net>
To:        Donn Miller <dmmiller@cvzoom.net>
Cc:        current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ftp and /etc/services...

On Wed, Aug 16, 2000 at 05:39:33AM -0400, Donn Miller wrote:
> This is on a recently-built -current box.  When I try to move ftp from
> port 21 to port 2121 in /etc/services, I get a "Connection
> refused" message when I try to login to anonymous ftp sites.  Should ftp
> be this dependent on /etc/services?  What if you _have_ no services
> running, e.g. inetd & portmap?  Returning ftp to port 21 in services fixes
> this problem.  I posted earlier about my problems with ftp recently.

That's the behavior I would expect.  If you want to connect to a specific
service, you should look it up in /etc/services.  Changing IANA registered
services in the services file is asking for trouble.  If you really
want to change it, you can should be able to get away with specifying
the correct port on the command line.

-- Brooks