Date:      Mon, 24 Aug 1998 00:43:25 -0700 (PDT)
From:      asami@FreeBSD.ORG (Satoshi Asami)
To:        ac199@hwcn.org
Cc:        ac199@hwcn.org, vanilla@FreeBSD.ORG, ports@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: manpages (Re: cvs commit: ports/devel/p5-Term-Query p5-Term-Query-2.0.tgz)

By the way, I take back my comment about NO_INSTALL_MANPAGES.  If the
software isn't installing manpages by itself, then more likely than
not the port Makefile is doing it by ${INSTALL_MAN} -- so it's better
to assume "MANCOMPRESSED=no" in that case.  (I know, it just blew up
in my face.)

 * It sure seems like a good idea to me.  My one worry is that this
 * would make more work for Steve, vanilla, mph, or one of the
 * committers who dedicate countless hours to testing and closing
 * the various PRs that submit updates to ports...?

What do you mean?  As people submit updates to Makefiles with too many
manpages?

I thought you were going to write a script to do that. :)

 * The other possibility is just to let Makefiles use a
 * ``.include "pkg/MEN"''.

That could be much easier.  Then it's only one file.

 * [Of course, a guideline such as "don't use this for less than XX
 *  manpages" should be made.]

Definitely.

 * > +# NO_WRKDIR		- There's no work directory at all; port does this someplace
 * > +#				  else.
 *
 * Obviously still there...

Didn't have the energy to look at those that will break.... ;)

 * Somehow you've changed what was originally a simple change into
 * something pretty large...  :)

You will have to look at the new porting.sgml before you say that.  I
think I can write a book now.

 * Since so much is changing anyways...  Is it worthwhile changing a
 * few non-absolute paths to absolute ones?  I'm not sure what the
 * original reason for using absolute paths was, but if it was
 * good...  :)
 *
 * My cursory scroll-through finds naked pkg_delete, expr, and of
 * course, many many [.  I assume the last one was intentional due
 * to the fact that even using the short variable form "$[" doubles
 * its length.  :)

Well, I've never seen an OS with [ in anywhere else than /bin.

 * There's also a naked ldconfig on line ~1751.

Ok, fixed those too.

 * [Hehe.  I'm tempted to suggest an INSTALLS_SHLIBS variable, now,
 *  but that probably should wait untill after E-day, at least :-]

(satoshi rolls his eyes)

Satoshi